Zorin has become the talk of the town. It has a lot to offer. When people hear about the operating system, its trend and minimalist style come to mind. However, there is a lot to the Ubuntu-based distro that you need to know. In fact, it is anything but lightweight. Ubuntu has a different flavor from the Zorin OS. Its resemblance to Windows is worth noting. Windows users will feel right at home when they make a switch. Thus, the comparison between the two is very much valid.
Zorin OS is a Linux-based operating system that is designed to be user-friendly and accessible for users who are switching from other operating systems, such as Windows or macOS. It is based on the popular Ubuntu Linux distribution, and it offers a customizable and familiar user interface that is similar to the desktop environments of other operating systems.
Zorin OS is available in several different editions, including a free “Core” edition and paid “Ultimate” and “Business” editions. The Core edition is the most basic and stripped-down version of the operating system, and it is intended for users who want to try out Zorin OS and see if it meets their needs. The Ultimate and Business editions are more feature-rich and include additional software and tools, such as proprietary drivers and commercial software.
One of the main features of Zorin OS is its customizable user interface, which allows users to switch between different desktop environments and layouts, such as Windows, macOS, and Linux. This makes it easier for users who are switching from other operating systems to feel at home on Zorin OS, and it allows them to customize the operating system to suit their preferences and needs.
Zorin OS is also known for its accessibility features, which make it easier for users with disabilities to use the operating system. These features include high-contrast themes, screen magnifiers, and on-screen keyboards, which can help users with visual or mobility impairments to navigate and use the operating system.
The operating system does an impeccable job when it comes to handling the windows of apps that remain resident even after being closed. Active menus are dropped to the right of the taskbar for ensuring quick reopening.
There are several main advantages of Zorin OS, including:
- User-friendly and accessible: Zorin OS is designed to be user-friendly and accessible for users who are switching from other operating systems, such as Windows or macOS. It offers a customizable and familiar user interface, and it includes accessibility features that make it easier for users with disabilities to use the operating system.
- Based on Ubuntu Linux: Zorin OS is based on the popular Ubuntu Linux distribution, which means that it is built on a stable and well-supported platform. This provides users with access to a wide range of software and tools, and it ensures that the operating system is updated regularly with security and feature enhancements.
- Available in different editions: Zorin OS is available in several different editions, including a free “Core” edition and paid “Ultimate” and “Business” editions. This allows users to choose the edition that best meets their needs and budget, and it ensures that there is a version of Zorin OS that is suitable for everyone.
- Customizable user interface: One of the main features of Zorin OS is its customizable user interface, which allows users to switch between different desktop environments and layouts, such as Windows, macOS, and Linux. This makes it easier for users who are switching from other operating systems to feel at home on Zorin OS, and it allows them to customize the operating system to suit their preferences and needs.
- Open-source software: Zorin OS is based on open-source software, which means that it is free to download, use, and modify. This allows users to have complete control over their operating system, and it ensures that the software is transparent, secure, and free from proprietary restrictions.
Is It Easy To Install Zorin OS?
One of the most important questions that you need to consider is whether Zorin OS is easy to install or not. Generally, installation should not give you much trouble. You will be able to easily install it as long as you have a strong wifi connection. Besides, every distribution comes with its fair share of problems. Hence, you cannot just expect things to be a walk in the park. You might have had to fix some problems in the past if you tried to install an OS.
As for the builds, they are based on the LTS releases of Ubuntu. These builds are applicable for both Zorin and Ubuntu repositories. If you decide to visit Zorinos.com to download the system, you would need to spend €39 + tax. The reason behind the cost is that the website has set Zorin Ultimate as the default download. It comes with games, business apps, support, and a Mac OS-like desktop. You can opt for Core if you do not require any of these. It would ensure that you get the system for free.
If you install the free version, it will come preinstalled with LibreOffice, a calendar, GIMP, a media player, and a file manager. There are also plenty of utilities. Firefox would be set as the default web browser and mail will be handled by Evolution. It also comes with a tidy app store which resembles the one offered by Mint. You also get to choose from different package managers.
On the other hand, if you install Zorin OS Ultimate, Home Bank will be included in the default bundle along with Inkscape for vector graphics, Kendive video editor, Xournal, and Mixxx DJ. You can also download these on the free Zorin OS-Core. The only reason to go with the Ultimate version is bundled support.
To install Zorin OS on a computer, you can follow these steps:
- Download the Zorin OS installation media from the official website. You can choose between a DVD or USB installation image, depending on your preference and the available installation options on your computer.
- Create a bootable installation media using the downloaded installation image. For a DVD installation image, burn the image to a blank DVD using a DVD burning software. For a USB installation image, use a USB burning tool, such as Etcher or Rufus, to write the image to a USB drive.
- Restart your computer and enter the BIOS or UEFI settings. This can typically be done by pressing a specific key, such as F2 or Del, during the boot process.
- In the BIOS or UEFI settings, change the boot order to prioritize the installation media that you created in step 2. This will ensure that your computer boots from the installation media instead of the hard drive.
- Save the BIOS or UEFI settings and exit. Your computer will now boot from the installation media, and you will be presented with the Zorin OS installation screen.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install Zorin OS on your computer. This process will typically involve selecting the installation options, such as the installation language and the partitioning scheme, and then waiting for the installation to complete.
- Once the installation is complete, remove the installation media and restart your computer. Your computer will now boot into the newly installed Zorin OS, and you can begin using it.
Zorin offers great navigation. You do not need to worry about getting lost in Zorin. The application menu makes sense and is easy to search. The same goes for the settings. If you press the Windows key, it would arrange all the running apps in multitasking view. Besides, the default theme is super easy and logical. You can tweak it if you want to.
If you want to start working with Zorin OS, there are several resources that can help you to get started and learn more about the operating system. Some of the best resources for beginners include:
- The official Zorin OS website: The official Zorin OS website is a great starting point for learning about the features and capabilities of the operating system. The website provides information about the different editions of Zorin OS, as well as details about the system requirements, installation instructions, and support options.
- The Zorin OS documentation: The Zorin OS documentation is a comprehensive collection of guides and tutorials that cover various aspects of the operating system, from installation and configuration to using applications and managing settings. The documentation is written in a clear and concise style, and it is a valuable resource for users who want to learn more about Zorin OS.
- The Zorin OS forums: The Zorin OS forums are an online community where users can discuss Zorin OS, share tips and tricks, and get support from other users and the Zorin OS team. The forums are a great place to ask questions and learn from the experiences of others, and they can help you to quickly resolve any issues or challenges that you encounter while using Zorin OS.
- The Zorin OS YouTube channel: The Zorin OS YouTube channel is a collection of video tutorials and demonstrations that show how to use Zorin OS and its various features and applications. The videos are well-produced and easy to follow, and they provide a visual and interactive way to learn about Zorin OS.
Zorin OS is a Linux-based operating system that is designed to be user-friendly and accessible for users who are switching from other operating systems. It offers a customizable and familiar user interface, and it includes accessibility features that make it easier for users with disabilities to use the operating system. It offers amazing simplicity and functionality. It can be easily summed up as a lightweight Windows. Hence, it is definitely worth testing. The design is also good.